Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wish I Owned a Radio Station

Bet you didn't expect that sound to come out of that mouth did you? Neither did I. Just another lesson in the "don't judge a book by it's cover" class. 

We took the kids to Camden, New Jersey to work at a homeless shelter the weekend before Christmas. A staff member they called "Detroit" got up and told his story. He actually had 2 or 3 college degrees and was doing great early in life but got mixed up in a messy divorce from his wife and other bad circumstances landed him on the street. He lived in a box and begged for money in front of a Dunkin Donuts until the manager finally came out one day and asked him if he wanted a job cleaning. He said yes and did such a great job there that other surrounding businesses hired him to do the same. He now helps other homeless people get on their feet.

I haven't been around too many homeless folks but when I am...I get nervous. While in Italy studying abroad for ten weeks I would often run into gypsies who would beg for money and shake a cup in your face. My initial thought, whether in the US or abroad, has always been the same: do they really need this money or am I being cheated. But the more and more I experience people like Ted Williams and Detroit...well...you know what I'm feeling. Is it possible that my heart needs to change a bit? How would Jesus respond to this guy? How would you respond to this guy?    

Think about it and say a prayer for Ted...hope to hear his voice on the radio sometime soon.  


1 comment:

Vanessa said...

He has multiple job offers (is in bidding wars like crazy!) now...looks like a youtube sensation strikes again! =)